Friday, February 20, 2009

Worry is like a rocking chair...

...it will give you something to do but it won't get you anywhere.

This chapter in Calm My Anxious Heart is full of some awesome truths about worrying.

Anxiety is linked more to the future, while depression is linked to the past.

Worry is the advance interest you pay on troubles that seldom come.

We worry about what MIGHT happen...it is all imagined.

Modern medical research has proven that worry breaks down resistance to disease.

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of it's sorrow, it empties today of it's strength.

Worry never changes a single thing except the worrier.

Certainly, we are to pray, plan, and prepare for tomorrow, but we are to not worry about what might happen.

The load of tomorrow added to that of yesterday, carried today, makes even the strongest women stumble.

If we aren't worried about tomorrow, we can concentrate on trusting God for today.

1Peter 5:6-7 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
Humility means to have total trust in God alone. It is the surrender of our total being--intellect, emotions, will, plans, and judgments. It is relinquishing everything. Unload..throw the whole weight of your anxieties upon him, for you are his personal concern.

I am having to cling to these truths. We are still waiting for a baby and it's been almost a year since our home study. I never thought it would take this long and not only is sadness still in my heart but frustration is too. Birth moms may visit New Life and have a meeting but not all are actually pursuing adoption. If you think about it, pray that birth moms find NL AND purse adoption.
It is a daily battle for me. I ask myself how can I NOT worry about this, but that is not giving it over to God. That's why it's a daily...actually an hour by hour battle for me lately to give my anxious...will this ever happen...thoughts over to the ONLY ONE that can replace those thoughts with peace. I'm so good at just being a rocking chair and worrying, longing furiously about it all day long, and ya it keeps me busy, but I'm waisting time that I could be living a life of peace instead. I would love any prayers on this.
I hope these wise worry truths can help us all. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

3 comments:

joy+will said...

i love your transparent heart. thanks for sharing this wisdom with me. i thought you'd want to know kari jobe has a "new" cd - just her. we just got it this week on itunes. wonderful!! i thought of you instantly.
wish we were ALL going to be together this weekend... miss you!

laura said...

Dear Shana, I am on my knees for you and your future little one! Your words are so wise, and you are an example to all of us, clinging to the only One who can give you true peace. I love you and can't wait to see how God finishes your story! :)

Debbie said...

Bless you my sweet friend, I know this journey is a TOUGH one to bear, my heart is sooo with you! This path can be a real roller coaster of emotions, despair, & even loneliness at times. I pray that God will give you glimpses of His PERFECT PLAN in your wait. I guarantee you Shana, the pain in these years of waiting WILL heal, I simply cannot WAIT to see what God has in store. I remember some wise words someone shared with me long ago as we cried out to Him in desperation, the "wait" may be more about the perfect time that God has designed for this child to be born. He has such PURPOSE that we may not ever fully see this side of heaven. Every gift of life is an amazing miracle & treasure from God, but yours Shana, will be a baby who is bathed in much prayer. Wow! His plans are so amazing & unique, praying for His refreshing over you these next days, we love ya'll!